Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 8.10 X Freezes

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: 8.10 X Freezes

I'm having a similar (if not identical) problem. Upgraded to 8.10 from 8.04. After upgrade, computer will lockup at random times (anywhere from 30 seconds after login window appears, or up to 30 minutes of web browsing, music, etc). Tried removing compiz. Done sever apt-get update, apt-get upgrades from the recovery console. Tried the above trick of specifing pci-e in the bios.

I also tried installing linux-backports-modules-intrepid and linux-backports-modules-intrepid-generic. I don't know what they do, but they didn't fix anything.

Running a nVidia card with nVdida drivers that worked fine in 8.04.

Let me know what other information I can post or anything else I could try.

Thanks!

Beans

Curiouser and curiouser:

Based on the helpful ideas in this thread (thank you all), I checked for any known issues with my hardware in the Intrepid and X bug reports. I didn't find any. I got to a CLI from a LiveCD using the Ctrl-Alt-F1 trick after the X "black screen of doom", but couldn't find any errors in dmesg.

On a whim I downloaded the 64-bit CD. The result: A perfect startup and installation.

Still have no idea what was causing the lockup.

Beans

Still the same symptoms as the BIOS problem I had.

Have you set your BIOS to the right video card (it looks like we all that this problem when using a PCI-E, while most BIOSs' are set up for PCI.)
    Honest, set the bios to PCI-E and see if that works.
    The probability of someone watching you is directly proportionate to the stupidity of your actions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

OMG! jblackthorne! Mega-thanks!
    Finally I am able to run X with 2.6.27-7 kernel!

I have Radeon 9600 connected to AGP slot on ASUS K8N board. I had a problem of monitor going to stand-by mode after orange progress bar splash screen and everything locking up. So, after X attempted to start, I couldn't switch the console with CTRL+ALT+F1 to see dmesg. And, of course, other workarounds suggested here like disconnecting other monitors, drawing tablets, changing output to VGA, installing fglrx driver and so on didn't help. Only vesa drivers worked, but they gave me very disgusting resolution on my wide-screen 1440x900 display.

My temporary workaround was running X with previous kernel so I was able to use "ati" driver. Now I'm happy

Beans

I would be most grateful if someone could take a look at the files I posted in this thread 3 days ago (including X sessio errors) and perhaps offer a couple tips for getting my X working. Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by RumorsOfWar View Post
    Still the same symptoms as the BIOS problem I had.

Have you set your BIOS to the right video card (it looks like we all that this problem when using a PCI-E, while most BIOSs' are set up for PCI.)
    Honest, set the bios to PCI-E and see if that works.
    Like I said, I had checked this out. All the relevant settings in my BIOS are set to PCI-E.

This SAME problem occurs when I boot from 8.10 x86 and 8.10 x64 live CDs.

Any other suggestions?

Beans

I sat down today to try some of the workarounds suggested in this thread.

I checked my hardware at the same time, I'm running:
    VIA Technologies Inc, S3 UniChrome Pro VGS adapter.

None of the workarounds worked for me, and I can't find anyone else with this video card with the same problem.

If no-one can help me, I'll just move to another distro.

Beans
    Hidden!

has everyone with the same issue as me changed distro?
    (x freezes a few seconds after showing me a desktop. this is from my upgraded install 64bit ubuntu, live 64bit ubuntu, live 32bit #! CrunchBang Linux which is based on 8.10.)

None of the solutions so far has worked and i'm reluctant to start a new thread. I'm using Fedora 10 just now with no similar issues.

Thanks in advance for any advice or ideas

Beans

Lightbulb Re: 8.10 X Freezes

Okay, first of all, I'm not a Linux/Ubuntu expert, but I got mine to stop freezing, YaY

Don't know of this is also going to help you, but I'd say it's worth a shot.

When you put in your Ubuntu 8.10 disk and boot from it, you are greeted by the "what you wana do" type of screen. Highlight (not enter yet) the "install ubuntu" option (Second option), press F4 and select 'Safe Graphics mode', press F6 and DELETE the words "splash=quiet", and enter the following: vga=791 .

(you can also add "pci=noacpi"; "apci=off" if the above does not work.)

After installation, pc will be rebooted. Press ESC while GRUB is loading to enter the grub menu. Enter the same parameters you added when booting from the cd, to the first entry in the grub menu (use 'e' to edit an entry). I hope this helps!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345