Thread: Error updating packages

Beans

Error updating packages

When I click on the icon for the package manager and click to update the packages I get this message:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
    E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

What does it mean and what do I need to do?

Thanks

Beans

Re: Error updating packages

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
    When I click on the icon for the package manager and click to update the packages I get this message:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
    E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

What does it mean and what do I need to do?

Thanks
    On your terminal, just add the sudo command:

Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

Beans

Thanks, that solved that problem but there seems to be more. First it took like 3 or 4 tried to download all the files. It kept stopping the download and would give me a message it was reading and then do nothing. I finally did get all the packages downloads and started the install. But, I get a broken package message, telling me to use the broken filter program. What is a broken package? I click OK and it either starts the install and the system freezes or it gives me an error something about Alien Arena. I have tried to remove Alien Arena as I do not play games but it will not allow me to do so.

How did this get so screwed up, it's a new os install, any ideas. What happened to ease to use never crashes linux?

Thanks,

Steve

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
    Thanks, that solved that problem but there seems to be more. First it took like 3 or 4 tried to download all the files. It kept stopping the download and would give me a message it was reading and then do nothing. I finally did get all the packages downloads and started the install. But, I get a broken package message, telling me to use the broken filter program. What is a broken package? I click OK and it either starts the install and the system freezes or it gives me an error something about Alien Arena. I have tried to remove Alien Arena as I do not play games but it will not allow me to do so.

How did this get so screwed up, it's a new os install, any ideas. What happened to ease to use never crashes linux?

Thanks,

Steve
    do you get any errors for running
    sudo apt-get update
    in the terminal?
    ~humanity to everyone and everything~

Beans

Try reading this Ubuntu Community HowTo on Synaptics Package Manager.
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.