Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IBM X31 Ati Mobility Radeon M6 LY - HOW TO ENABLE 3D

Beans

Re: IBM X31 Ati Mobility Radeon M6 LY - HOW TO ENABLE 3D

Quote Originally Posted by killerbeesateme View Post
    I have an X32, and had the same problem with NX Client from NoMachine, and the right click menu in Firefox. I didn't have an xorg.conf from the default install, so I just made one with the same contents as the first post suggested. I rebooted, and enabled "Normal Effects" and so far I haven't had any glitches and my NX Client runs without a hitch.

Arch linux pushed an x server update that caused this same behavior about 1-2 weeks ago so to me it seems like something changed upstream requiring a reworking of the xorg.conf. I wish I found this before switching from Arch to Ubuntu so I could find the magic lines in the config file that fixed this.
    Thank you for your reply. I've been reading forums/other tutorials, and experimenting the whole day today, aand...well, finally noticed, that my xorg.conf has gone the X11 just didn't inclue xorg.conf...and as you said, than I made it on my own, by pasting the mentioned contents from this topic...and nothing changed actually. The results are the same as I posted screenshots early (when effects are turned off), BUT when I turned on effects to "normal" option, the effects started to work without crash (just after ubuntu install yesterday, effects were also ok, but the system crashed for a few times, forcing me to turn off those effects). However, Now I write with enabled effects, but still there are some glitches:

As you see - there are visual stripes on firefox, as on any other program or folder.

..And when started the video test - the results are also "striped".

Didn't try google earth, because had uninstalled it, but I guess nothing would have changed.

Conclusion? Buy new hardware? netbook maybe? I lost my last hope to repair this

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

I have exactly this problem on an X32, the most annoying feature is the heavy striping on video playback.. If i ever find a solution then i will post back here but I've been trying for a while so don't hold your breath.

Anyone else can help us? A lot of people still have these great little laptops and this pretty much rules out any serious use of ubuntu. This would be great to get fixed.. I'm willing to put in some time and effort but beyond what I have already tried I don't know where to start.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Prosthetic Head View Post
    I have exactly this problem on an X32, the most annoying feature is the heavy striping on video playback.. If i ever find a solution then i will post back here but I've been trying for a while so don't hold your breath.

Anyone else can help us? A lot of people still have these great little laptops and this pretty much rules out any serious use of ubuntu. This would be great to get fixed.. I'm willing to put in some time and effort but beyond what I have already tried I don't know where to start.
    Ah, right, just noticed that when watching video - the active display zone is also striped as in my test screenshot.

Anyway, I think it's Kernel's problem, because when I encountered the first crash, the error message included "kernel" term... Sadly our ibm hardware is quite old and I think it will be difficult to find the solution...
    Last edited by pirmas; November 9th, 2009 at 05:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by pirmas View Post
    Hello, everyone,

I'm new here, so sorry for any mistakes I would probably make when participating in this forum.

I'm coming straight to the point:

Today I have installed ubuntu 9.10. And by default there was set "normal" visual effects option, which was n
    ot, quite good, for my ibm x31 video card (ATI Mobility RADEON M6C-16h - the same as m6 LY mentioning in this topic). The screen was pixelated, etc. I had turned off those effects, but the problem was not fully solved. Here's what I mean:

That's how system monitor windows looks like.

And google earth:

nice, right?

However, there no any other problems, the system is really fast, there's no lag, etc. just those problems that I mentioned above.

Can anyone tell me where should I start solving the problem? what's the first step? modifying xorg.conf? But I'm afraid not to "modify" too much... I could post any log files, or mentioned xorg.conf, or any other, if that would help to solve the problem.

I'm in love with the new ubuntu, and don't wanna stay with this issue

Thanks in advance for a help!
    Pirmas, did you say Visual Effects option has been set to Normal?

I have Radeon Mobility M6 on my X22 too and experience the same problem and we have some discussion here at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1285406

Basically, if Visual Effects was turned on, this "pixelated" problem is not observed.

But if Visual Effects can't be turned on, then one last resource is to use the vesa driver instead. Please refer to that thread for details.

Hope this may help.

Beans

Hi there.

I have this card in an old Dell c610.
    I fixed it by following the directions in this link down to the end of step 8.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=899178

/etc/X11/xorg.conf didn't exist for my installation of U910 so I just created it and copied the config in, rebooted and it worked.

Then I set the Appearance settings to Extra and all font/graphic corruption problems went away.
    I had them in Wine, the Notification windows, the Activity Monitor and Open Office.

Cheers,

Mark

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pcblues View Post
    Hi there.

I have this card in an old Dell c610.
    I fixed it by following the directions in this link down to the end of step 8.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=899178

/etc/X11/xorg.conf didn't exist for my installation of U910 so I just created it and copied the config in, rebooted and it worked.

Then I set the Appearance settings to Extra and all font/graphic corruption problems went away.
    I had them in Wine, the Notification windows, the Activity Monitor and Open Office.

Cheers,

Mark
    I am glad that I read all the way to the end of the thread before starting this process. I also have a C610, and was also able to stop at step 8. Question though...is compiz an unnecessary program for this configuration, or just not now? I only set my Appearance settings to Normal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12