Thread: [SOLVED] sudo apt-get update/upgrade

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

[SOLVED] sudo apt-get update/upgrade

what is the difference between an update, and an upgrade?
    It seems like the icon for updates available offers different updates than the CLI command because after updating/upgrading from the CLI the icon remains in the top panel. Is this right or am I seeing things?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: sudo apt-get update/upgrade

update: check repositories for new packages or updated packages
    upgrade: get any new/upgraded packages and install them
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by adamogardner View Post
    what is the difference between an update, and an upgrade?
    It seems like the icon for updates available offers different updates than the CLI command because after updating/upgrading from the CLI the icon remains in the top panel. Is this right or am I seeing things?
    'update' checks your software sources for a fresh list of what's available.

'upgrade' actually downloads and installs the available updates.

Beans
    Distro

Yes, the icon remains on the top panel; grayed out while the package manager does some "behind the scenes" work after installing the updates (it will go away after the package manager is done); or, if there is, e.g., a new kernel, it will remain "lit up" until the new kernel is installed. To do this from the CLI, do
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    which will d/l and install those things kernel (and a few other things I don't currently know) related, at which time the icon will gray out, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by adamogardner View Post
    Or are you meaning, like me I'm starting to use CLI to get updates, but sometimes when i do apt-get holds back on some updates, but those same updates are processed via the update manager icon? Or is that just some weird issue i'm having?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rolnics View Post
    Or are you meaning, like me I'm starting to use CLI to get updates, but sometimes when i do apt-get holds back on some updates, but those same updates are processed via the update manager icon? Or is that just some weird issue i'm having?
    Not a wierd issue you are having; as I posted above, sometimes the held back updates need to be installed from the CLI using sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, which is why using the update manager icon will install them. In certain other cases, there are dependencies needed to install the new package but the dependencies are not yet upgraded, in which case neither the CLI nor the update manager icon will download them.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

ok so what I'm hearing is that after I do update, then I do up grade because the latter activates the former?
    I also am hearing that on occasion a new and improved kernal comes out with or without warning except that the icon remains, and to remedy this icon I input: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.
    Last edited by adamogardner; July 10th, 2008 at 05:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro

When you do the update command, the information in the system as to the repositories is refreshed "to date". When you do the upgrade command, the refreshed information is used by the system to determine whether there are updated packages to install to update your system, and, if so, the same are reported to you and then, after you accept them, downloaded and installed. During this process, some packages will be "held back" for the reasons I posted earlier. To install updated kernel, the dist-upgrade command is used. Many recommend that when doing a CLI update, all three commands be used, e.g.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    to get all available updates installed. HTH.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: [SOLVED] sudo apt-get update/upgrade

thankyou 4 clarifying

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: [SOLVED] sudo apt-get update/upgrade

thanks avtolle, for explaining that one, just had my weird issue, but with your explanation it's not an issue now, just another thing i've learnt about linux!