Thread: [SOLVED] Problems with permission in external HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation [SOLVED] Problems with permission in external HDD

Hi,

I've got a Seagate 250 GB ext HDD, partitioned to 84GB (ext 3) and 154GB (Fat32 or possibly Fat 16). Using Grsync to backup up my internal documents I can't gain permission to copy to ext 3, but have no problems with sync-ing to Fat 32 partition. Even when I attempt to simply copy files to ext 3 it continues to say I don't have permission. I've read about this in my Ubuntu book, but I'm becoming increasingly confused. Any help much appreciated. Regards,
    I am not what I ought to be. I am not what I want to be. I am not what I hope to be. But still, I am not what I used to be. And by the grace of God, I am what I am (John Newton: 1725-1807)

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Problems with permission in external HDD

You need to change the owner of the partition:
    Code:
    sudo chown -R $USERNAME. /media/disk-X
    assuming the partition is mounted in the /media/disk-X directory.
    Read more about permissions: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FilePermissions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks,

I've tried what you suggested but got the following;
    chown: missing operand after `./media/disk'

Any ideas?

PS When I look in properties of the disk and then permissions, it states that the permissions of the "disk" could not be determined.
    Last edited by Berean; June 6th, 2008 at 07:59 PM. Reason: additional information
    I am not what I ought to be. I am not what I want to be. I am not what I hope to be. But still, I am not what I used to be. And by the grace of God, I am what I am (John Newton: 1725-1807)

Beans
    Hidden!

EDIT: first post the output from
    Code:
    mount
    It's a space after $USERNAME.
    sudo chown -R $USERNAME. /media/disk
    Last edited by sisco311; June 6th, 2008 at 08:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Sisco311,

I've been looking over my books - and the link you gave me - and I've managed to sort it. Many thanks for your help. Regards,

Beans

Thanks for the tip, sisco311, I had the same issue. Now that I totally chown my second hard drive, nautilus and others can write files there. That's nice. However, when I click properties, it still says that the permissions could not be determined. It's an ext3 partition, which has no errors according to fsck. Doesn't seem like a problem, but somethings misconfigured somewhere. Currently seems like only a minor annoyance.