Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Has anyone got Hauppauge HVR 1600 working?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Has anyone got Hauppauge HVR 1600 working?

just some usage information. right click on the television and it pops up a menu at the bottom. you can expand it so you can scroll down the available channels you can select your channels here. there is an autosurf button which takes you through the channels every few seconds. you can hide the controls with with the botton ontop and if you want fullscreen, use f. and in fullscreen, you can right click. the recorded shows are put into the your home directory /home/yourusername or ~/ directory. one last thing, do not change the deinterlace type in from default. it will consume tons of cpu

Beans

I found the tv channel list at the bottom.
    There is no program list information, such as the program guide.
    Last night when I ran me-tv, every time I clicked a couple times my system would freeze up.
    This morning when I first started my system up, I ran me-tv, and I could run normally until after 5 minutes or so my system froze up.
    After that, when I run me-tv my system freezes up sometime after 1 click and sometimes after a couple clicks.
    Any idea why that is?
    Last edited by sofasurfer; June 13th, 2008 at 06:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I get the same issues with the screen lockup but the software is functional. ATSC tuners are slow to begin with. If your signal is too weak, you will not get a good signal lock and it will either freeze for a few seconds or not function at all. Linux or the me-tv is not the problem. ATSC tuners are just this way. Believe me when I tell you i tried 3 of them already.

I fixed this problem with a more powerful ATSC antenna. Instead of getting like 75% lockups, Now i have like 2 or 3 channels that lock up and need antenna adjustment. The atsc antenna I have rotates with a motor inside of it so it also comes with a remote control. it will rotate the antenna untill a good signal shows. Me-TV has no signal meter at the moment to tell you how good the signal is but they are planning on implimenting one. I would love to see this feature! SOON! some channels like High gain, and others like low gain. I have a file that has specific atsc antenna settings for me to keep track of best settings. like I use "channel 2cbs channel 12 and 2 gain". For some reason, I mention me-tv 5.25. I don't know exactly why but this version seems to work best! you can use the same method you did with installing 5.30. no need to uninstall old version. I can tell you right now that after 10 minutes, i see some lockups in 5.30 and not 5.25. So try it first before you decide on getting a better antenna.

I still have not found a way to get the program guide running. I have'nt even tried looking into this.

update.
    hmm. 5.30 is not as good as 5.25. 5.25 seems to operate better for some reason. I'll be posting a bug at launchpad me-tv
    Last edited by Cresho; June 13th, 2008 at 07:33 PM.

Beans

I'm not talking about the signal freezing up. That is good. I'm referring to a complete computer freeze. Video image freezes, no mouse function, no keyboard function. This happens less than it did earlier. I can click on the controls quite a bit with no freeze up until I do a lot of clicking. When I open firefox with the video running I get instant freezeup.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It could be that your system is not running hardware graphics accelerator or is not powerfull enough or drivers are not running for your specific hardware and not supported by linux.

My system spec is
    gigabyte motherboard with amd 6400 black edition
    2gb ddr800 ram
    BFG 8800gt oc.
    sata drives

I can tell you that my pc runs at about 12% cpu usage all the time
    When I ran the hvr1600 with no hardware acceleration, I did not have any freeze up at all. You can try another television viewing software. Now tha your hardware is working, try the suggestion from "willoconley". His might work better.

Beans

I'll check my cpu usage later.
    Off to work.
    Thanks for all your help.

Beans

I live on the west coast of Canada and I am not picking any channels at all I am think it is because I am on cable but I am not sure how to change the scanner fore this

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

look in the /usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples directory and choose..hmmmm
    atsc is for usa
    dvb-s is for satelite
    dvb-t is cable (terrestrial) europe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-T

look at the picture. You are most likely atsc and in this folder, change the scanner from

scan /usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples/scan/atsc/us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB > ~/.azap/channels.conf

to

/usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples/scan/atsc look into this directory and you may need to replace
    us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB

with either of those in that directory and add it to the command line for an output. try all of them since ATSC is canadian as well.

post if this info help

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cresho View Post
    look in the /usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples directory and choose..hmmmm
    atsc is for usa
    dvb-s is for satelite
    dvb-t is cable (terrestrial) europe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-T

look at the picture. You are most likely atsc and in this folder, change the scanner from

scan /usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples/scan/atsc/us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB > ~/.azap/channels.conf

to

/usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples/scan/atsc look into this directory and you may need to replace
    us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB

with either of those in that directory and add it to the command line for an output. try all of them since ATSC is canadian as well.

post if this info help
    so you are saying that I should go through that folder and keep replacing the us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB with another one until I get some channel hits?

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] Has anyone got Hauppauge HVR 1600 working?

I have marked this thread as "solved"
    Even though setup of HVR 1600 is still a major task, I have accomplished what I asked for.

In my situation with my system freezing up, sometimes it isn't as bad as other times.

I have now installed another Ubuntu on my system and I am now going to try to reproduce what was accomplished in this thread.If I can do that I may be able to actually help some people as you's have helped me.

Thanks.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast