Thread: Wireless driver for MacBook Pro 4,1?

Hybrid View

Beans

Wireless driver for MacBook Pro 4,1?

The chipset is Broadcom 4328 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 5) and I expect that the right Windows driver for use in Ndiswrapper is somewhere inside the "broadcominstaller64.exe" or "broadcomxpinstaller.exe" files that I've lifted off the BootCamp CD. I already tried wine on these files, but no luck. How can I liberate a 64-bit driver from these files without having access to Windows?

Beans

Re: Wireless driver for MacBook Pro 4,1?

Hey, I believe you can treat it as a file archive and just unzip the sucker.

This old thread suggests using Unrar on the file.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by seaward View Post
    Hey, I believe you can treat it as a file archive and just unzip the sucker.
    yep
    you want the xp driver btw.

Beans

OK, found it, the same pair of bcmwl5.{inf,sys} files that are listed in other threads. Installed into ndiswrapper, shows up as only driver with "ndiswrapper -l" command,
    Code:
    bcmwl5 : driver installed
            device (14E4:4328) present
    Now the differences from previous threads: lsmod doesn't show ohci_hcd and ssb modules, so there won't be any problems with order of loading the ndiswrapper module, I take it. After modprobing ndiswrapper, the "iwconfig" command shows the wlan0 interface present, the "iwlist scan" command shows a whole bunch of wireless interfaces among which my own -- an Airport Extreme Base Station set to WPA/WPA2 Personal security. So far, so good.

After I select my network in network-manager a window pops up and asks for the WPA or WPA2 passphrase, which I provide, then keeps spinning and periodically asking for my passphrase again. It never connects! OK, network-manager has never worked well for me, so out with it and manually edit /etc/network/interfaces
    Code:
    auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
       wpa-ssid HAJKNET
       wpa-psk "xxxxxxxxxx"
       wpa-driver wext
    then "sudo ifup wlan0" also spins forever, never getting a DHCP offer.

Strange..., just the other day I installed Hardy on my old original MacBook and it had no problems connecting (with madwifi) to the same network with network-manager. What am I overlooking, I wonder... the old MacBook had 32-bit Hardy, the new MBP has 64-bit Hardy, is that it? Has anyone got the Broadcom 4328 rev 05 to work on 64-bit Hardy?
    Last edited by hajk; May 20th, 2008 at 10:33 AM.

Beans

A bit of progress, if you can call it that. I've reconfigured my wireless AP (an Airport Extreme Base Station) to 802.11n (2.4GHz) only, instead of the 802.11n (b/g compatible). The security is now WPA2 Personal (AES-CCMP). I've also re-enabled nm-applet and cleaned out /etc/network/interfaces.

The nm-applet sees my network, the icon starts spinning and a window pops up asking for WPA2 Personal passphrase, and now the nm-applet shows connected, except it alternates between full-colour (100%) and no colour (0%), and sometimes in between. Yet, it keeps on asking for my passphrase, time and again, and ifconfig shows no connection....

I've now wasted half a day on this, back to running Ubuntu in VMware Fusion for now...

Beans

Not got much to add except to say have you tried it without the WPA authentication switched on, just for the sake of testing?

I've read a few reports of WPA being a bit screwed up on 64-bit Ubuntu.

Might be worth checking, but doesn't really represent a valid solution.
    Last edited by seaward; May 20th, 2008 at 01:27 PM.