Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Wireless driver for MacBook Pro 4,1?

Beans

Re: Wireless driver for MacBook Pro 4,1?

Yes, i used the network manager applet that sits on the top panel in your default installation of ubuntu. With reference to how many times i have to enter the pass phrase, its random. Sometimes it connects right off, other times it will ask me for it several times before it connects.

I've found that picking up a signal at longer ranges isn't as good as when i'm booted into the macosx side of things, and the signal strength varies a lot unless i'm within a room range of the ap.

Beans

I recently changed router:

- I was previously connecting happily in wpa on a wrt54g v5 loaded with ddwrt 24 micro.
    - I am now failing to connect past the wpa supplicant '4 way handshake' on a netgear wnr834b v2 with ddwrt v24 std. wpa diagnosis is easy, just start 'sudo wpa_cli' and watch the messages, and/or type 'status' command.

workaround: since the routers os is exactly the same, and I could connect successfully to the wrt54g, I degraded settings on the wnr834b to match the wrt54g (namely disabling BGN-mixed mode and forcing BG-mixed mode). also I forced wpasup to use wpa-psk only, and success! okay I don't get the N's 320Mb/s but at least I have the G's 54Mb/s with WPA encryption.

btw that's with archlinux 64bit but I thought this might be useful to some here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That sounds about right. I have the same problem with several machines on my home network. Have to force it down to BG.

Beans

I recently brought an apple extreme basestation home to my ubuntu macbook air, and experienced the same problem; I could not make it work. I went back to the store and had it replaced by a netgear WPN824v2, with which I have had no problems.

Beans

Well, I've tried a few other 802.11b/g modem/routers too (SpeedTouch 585, SpeedTouch 780) but still no dice. Eventually the WPA/WPA2 problem will be sorted out, I'm sure. In the meantime I've switched to a solution of sorts that doesn't require any Linux wireless drivers or ndiswrapper: a Linksys WET54G wireless bridge. It's a bit bulky, but it does fit in the outside pockets of the Incase sleeve for my 15" 4,1 MBP. For those interested, refer to my setup Howto in http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=28456.

Beans

I now have it working in N mode, although the router must be set to accept B mode:
    - 'BG Mixed' mode works, G-only fails
    - 'BGN Mixed' mode works, N-only fails

Code:
    wlan0     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"Day5"  
              Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.422 GHz  Access Point: 00:1E:2A:61:F2:90   
              Bit Rate=117 Mb/s   Tx-Power:32 dBm   
              RTS thr:2347 B   Fragment thr:2346 B   
              Power Management:off
              Link Quality:70/100  Signal level:-51 dBm  Noise level:-96 dBm
              Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:127  Invalid misc:194143   Missed beacon:0
    what's more, it seems that some auth combinations will fail. here's my wpa_supplicant.conf, forcing some settings so I can have the widest ones (WPA/WPA2 Personal+TKIP/AES) on the router. refer to wpa_supplicant documentation/sample config for what things mean.

Code:
    ## global configuration (shared by all network blocks)
    ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
    eapol_version=1
    ap_scan=1
    #fast_reauth=1

## network configs

network={
        ssid="Day5"
        proto=RSN # WPA works too
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK # what else?
        pairwise=CCMP # TKIP auths but then MAC-level link is crap
        group=TKIP # CCMP fails to auth, WEP104/WEP40 untested
        psk="MYSECRETPASSPHRASE"
        priority=5
    }
    for the record, I'm using following ArchLinux packages versions:
    Code:
    $ pacman -Q ndiswrapper wpa_supplicant wireless_tools dhcpcd
    ndiswrapper 1.53-1
    wpa_supplicant 0.5.10-1
    wireless_tools 29-2
    dhcpcd 3.2.1-1
    Last edited by lloeki; July 10th, 2008 at 02:28 PM.

Beans

some people are encountering similar issue on ddwrt forums: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtop...=191268#191268

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345