Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wireless driver for MacBook Pro 4,1?

Beans

Re: Wireless driver for MacBook Pro 4,1?

Well, the saga continues... I've gotten pommed to work, but only after installing the next version from ppa.launchpad. The applesmc module gives an unending stream of
    Code:
    applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    messages in dmesg, so I rmmod-ded it and I'll have to do without keyboard backlighting.

I have also installed wicd (the stable version 1.4.2) and gotten rid of network-manager in the process. Wireless still doesn't connect to my WPA-secured AP, although it will connect to my neighbour's unsecured AP. It makes no difference whether I use WPA, WPA2, with TKIP or AES. At the same time, my old MacBook (also with Hardy) will connect happily to the same AP (an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station).

Is there anyone around with an MBP 4,1 (with the Broadcomm 4328 rev 05 chip), running 64-bit generic Hardy, who can connect to a WPA-secured network? If so, I would like to hear details on the setup, please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hajk View Post
    Well, the saga continues... I've gotten pommed to work, but only after installing the next version from ppa.launchpad. The applesmc module gives an unending stream of
    Code:
    applesmc: wait status failed: c != 8
    messages in dmesg, so I rmmod-ded it and I'll have to do without keyboard backlighting.
    From what I understood, those messages are OK. It was a debug message (or something like that) and didn't get commented out in the code or something, but doesn't effect operation.

I have also installed wicd (the stable version 1.4.2) and gotten rid of network-manager in the process. Wireless still doesn't connect to my WPA-secured AP, although it will connect to my neighbour's unsecured AP. It makes no difference whether I use WPA, WPA2, with TKIP or AES. At the same time, my old MacBook (also with Hardy) will connect happily to the same AP (an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station).

Is there anyone around with an MBP 4,1 (with the Broadcomm 4328 rev 05 chip), running 64-bit generic Hardy, who can connect to a WPA-secured network? If so, I would like to hear details on the setup, please.
    What do you have the wifi settings set to? Some people have trouble if it is set to b+g compatible instead of just g compatbile or something like that. I have a Linksys router, so I don't know the exact options in the AEB

Beans

@applesmc: not sure whether those messages are harmless; even with it loaded the keyboard backlighting doesn't work. BTW, those messages start once /etc/init.d/pommed is restarted, not when applesmc is modprobed with pommed already running.

@wireless: I've tried both 802.11n (2.4GHz only) and 802.11n (b/g compatible 2.4GHz), it makes no difference. Obviously I'm using the b/g compatible right now, as I'm typing this on my MacBook 1,1.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@applesmc: not sure whether those messages are harmless; even with it loaded the keyboard backlighting doesn't work. BTW, those messages start once /etc/init.d/pommed is restarted, not when applesmc is modprobed with pommed already running.
    Well, you can go check the mactel-linux mailing list archives, but I am pretty sure they are harmless.

@wireless: I've tried both 802.11n (2.4GHz only) and 802.11n (b/g compatible 2.4GHz), it makes no difference. Obviously I'm using the b/g compatible right now, as I'm typing this on my MacBook 1,1.
    There was a thread recently where someone discussed changing something like that, and it fixed it. Maybe not for you though. Sry.

Beans

Question Re: Wireless driver for MacBook Pro 4,1?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=800618

i use wpa2 and whenever i go to System--->Administration--->Network and type my Network password it gets double and Password type automatically shifts to WPA Personal from WPA2 Personal, i don't know what is the problem .Is there any way to enter WPA2 psk using command line.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vanakush View Post
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=800618

i use wpa2 and whenever i go to System--->Administration--->Network and type my Network password it gets double and Password type automatically shifts to WPA Personal from WPA2 Personal, i don't know what is the problem .Is there any way to enter WPA2 psk using command line.
    Yes, check out the wpa_supplicant man-pages and documentation (examples). I've tried that too, but couldn't make things work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    A lot of people have been using rev05...
    This I find puzzling, as I have trolled the various forums and wikis for days without finding a single instance of an MBP 4,1 user succeeding in getting a connection to a WPA/WPA2 wireless AP. Yes, it will connect to an open AP, so the problem lies in the current version of wpasupplicant, not ndiswrapper or any of the network-managers.

This is confirmed by using wpasupplicant directly, with config file /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
    Code:
    ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
    network={
              ssid="HAJKNET"
              key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
              psk="MyPassPhrase"
    }
    (No need for a more elaborate config file, as wpa_supplicant correctly picks up all necessary settings of the wireless AP. That directory in /var/run must be made first.) Then do
    Code:
    $ sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
    $ sudo wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -d > tmp
    and stop it with Ctrl-C after some time. Then study the output in tmp: it appears that everything associates fine until the 4-way handshaking phase, when it somehow proceeds to reassociate, etc, until things time out.

I've also tried Debian unstable with the 2.6.25 kernel... same problem.

P.S. The 2.6.25 kernel has solved the problem with usbhid, so the special fn-key works without the quirks work-around. The applesmc module still gives those never-ending error messages.

PP.SS. I'm abandoning my attempts at installing GNU/Linux directly to the hardware of the MBP 4,1 until I see reports of wpasupplicant having been fixed. I'll try and see whether a bug report (in Ubuntu Launchpad or Debian BTS) is indicated.

Beans

I have exactly the same problems. On a brand new MBP wlan0 is detected but I don't get an IP from my dhcp server.

Interessting is that I avahi feels responsable to assign an IP:

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet Hardware Adresse 00:1e:c2:c4:68:46
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metrik:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    Kollisionen:0 Sendewarteschlangenlänge:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
    Interrupt:16 Speicher:97300000-97304000

wlan0:avahi Link encap:Ethernet Hardware Adresse 00:1e:c2:c4:68:46
    inet Adresse:169.254.6.237 Bcast:169.254.255.255 Maske:255.255.0.0
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metrik:1
    Interrupt:16 Speicher:97300000-97304000

Any ideas how to solve this?
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have trolled the various forums and wikis for days without finding a single instance of an MBP 4,1 user succeeding in getting a connection to a WPA/WPA2 wireless AP. Yes, it will connect to an open AP, so the problem lies in the current version of wpasupplicant, not ndiswrapper or any of the network-managers.
    I didn't think that n-m used wpa-supplicant!

What encryption type are you using though? AES? TKIP? That may also the issue. I can see problems with WPA2... I have always had issues with that, but WPA has worked without much issue for me for years. (I don't have one of the rev5 cards though...)

Beans

We've been through this before... I've tried just about any combination I could think of: WPA with TKIP, WPA2 with TKIP and CCMP, WPA/WPA2 with TKIP and CCMP, etc. The output of the "wpa_supplicant" command shows that everything is properly detected, except at the 4-way handshake stage things time out. I should say, there is a 10 second time-out limit, and I have not been able to ascertain where that is set (in wpa_supplicant? in the router?).

That same 10-second time-out is also active in network-manager, seeing that it asks for the passphrase every 10 seconds or so; wicd just sits there spinning its wheels. Would the Apple Extreme Base Station router be the problem?

BTW, has anyone seen a report of WPA/WPA2 working on the MBP 4,1 with the ndiswrapper(broadcom 4328 rev 05) setup?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast