Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wireless driver for MacBook Pro 4,1?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Wireless driver for MacBook Pro 4,1?

Quote Originally Posted by hajk View Post
    Would the Apple Extreme Base Station router be the problem?
    I notice that many a problem with WiFi are trying to connect to an AEB. That very well may be the issue.

Beans

Yes, that's what I've been thinking too. So, I borrowed a Linksys WAG160N asdls-modem/router and configured it both for WPA and WPA2 (separately) and tried to connect to it. Unfortunately, same result: network-manager asks for WPA PassPhrase every 10 seconds or so, but never connects. Well, I'm glad I had the foresight to install VMware Fusion on the MBP; it runs both Hardy and Lenny flawlessly, and fast too (what with 4GB RAM installed). I'll be back trying an install of Ubuntu and/or Debian on the hardware sometime, but not too soon I guess...

Beans

I have this same problem in 32bit although I did get wireless to work briefly and then it stopped again.

Beans

Make sure that you have gone to the software sources and checked the third party boxes and the two boxes under update. I tried that and if finally worked using Wpa/wpa2.

Beans

Maybe the new ndiswrapper 1.53 is the solution?

Form the Change-Log the last point might solve the problem?

* Implemented va_list conversion for x86_64, which fixes oops in
    vsprintf() and vsnprintf().
    * Fixed oops on unload if using our workqueue implementation with SMP enabled.
    * Don't change the actual thread priority, just pretend it was changed.
    * Implemented format string conversion for x86_64, so that Windows long
    is mapped to Linux int.
    * Fixed most sparse warnings.
    * Simplified code and build system to remove already broken support for
    Linux versions prior to 2.6.16.
    * Added .size and .type for all functions in win2lin_stubs.S to improve
    backtrace on x86_64.
    * Fixed rx key authentication sequence number conversion from Windows to
    Linux so WPA authentication doesn't sometimes go into re-key auth loop.

Anyone tried that?
    Best regards
    Jens

Beans

Yes, that may well be solution to the problem that I described earlier. Good show to notice that!

I won't try this out myself anytime soon, though, since I've now switched my wireless setup (for other reasons) exclusively to the 5GHz band. Unfortunately, the current Ndiswrapper/Broadcom 4328 (rev 05) combination does not scan that band...

Beans

Well, I've now also tried Ndiswrapper 1.53, downloaded from SourceForge and compiled/installed as per the instructions. I'm sad to inform that there was no difference: it did not solve the problem with WPA/WPA2 security discussed earlier in this thread.

Beans

Yes, I can confirm this. I have compiled the new ndiswrapper too, but the problem persists.
    This is a pity. Such a nice machine and no wireless LAN (with WPA). I have to use OS X after all .

hajk: Does ifconfig shows a wlan0:avahi entry like mine?

wlan0:avahi Link encap:Ethernet Hardware Adresse 00:1e:c2:c4:68:46
    inet Adresse:169.254.6.237 Bcast:169.254.255.255 Maske:255.255.0.0
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metrik:1
    Interrupt:16 Speicher:97300000-97304000

I was not able to inhibit the responsability of avahi (zeroconf) for my wlan interface.

Thanks

Beans

Yes, it did. I have switched to Debian testing (Lenny) in the meantime, with a 2.6.25 kernel, and now it does not show that extra avahi interface.

I have configured my AP now for 5GHz 802.11n, but it is not visible in network-manager or with "iwlist scan", as these look in the 2.4GHz band only.

I'm afraid that resolution of the WPA/WPA2 and 5GHz band problems must await further development of Ndiswrapper. You should look into using VMware Fusion (the beta 2.0 version) in order to use Ubuntu Hardy on your new MBP -- it runs very well on mine (money well spent).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hajk View Post
    Yes, it did. I have switched to Debian testing (Lenny) in the meantime, with a 2.6.25 kernel, and now it does not show that extra avahi interface.

I have configured my AP now for 5GHz 802.11n, but it is not visible in network-manager or with "iwlist scan", as these look in the 2.4GHz band only.

I'm afraid that resolution of the WPA/WPA2 and 5GHz band problems must await further development of Ndiswrapper. You should look into using VMware Fusion (the beta 2.0 version) in order to use Ubuntu Hardy on your new MBP -- it runs very well on mine (money well spent).
    Yea, ndiswrapper and the other broadcom drivers do not support 802.11n yet.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast