View Poll Results: Did you have the 'Aperture beyond 4GB' problem when you updated ubuntu to 8.10?

Voters
194. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

179 92.27%
  • No.

11 5.67%
  • I had a different problem.

4 2.06%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ibex - Aperture beyond 4GB ? - Update problems

Beans

Re: Ibex - Aperture beyond 4GB ? - Update problems

I havent tryed the 32bit on the same machine but at least mine bypasses the error.

Its wierd you wouldnt expect a 64bit machine to give a crap about 4gb or more of ram.

For everyone who cant even get it to install take out some ram as a last resort. (just guessing that might fix)

OR i did use the cd and booted to live and installed from there <try that after updateing (cuz i think one of the upgrades was for the installer)

Also are the people having this error using intel, amd or both?

Mines a AMd 4200 X2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Unhappy Re: Ibex - Aperture beyond 4GB ? - Update problems

I got this with the alternate AMD64 install despite having only 2GB RAM. The installation continued but wouldn't recognise my RAID HDDs properly for partitioning so I had to abort.

System: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB Gfx

I've done an install from the Update Manager instead which plainly doesn't work properly. System>Administration>Software Sources just hangs, amongst other problems.

Oh well, back to Hardy I suppose. Another disappointing upgrade day

Beans

I see this message every time I boot into 2.6.27-7 but so far it doesn't seem to cause any problem.

EDIT: AMD Athlon 64 X2 system with 2 gigs of RAM, clean install to 8.10 x64 from a LiveCD.
    Last edited by Divide_Overflow; October 31st, 2008 at 05:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I noticed something weird today, this was my second upgrade, the first went perfect. The second however when I was rebooting it appeared to lock just like what you guys are saying. I went to hit ctrl-alt-f1 to see what the other terminals showed and noticed as I hit ctrl-alt it started booting again...I lifted my fingers and it stopped again...pressed again and it started again?!?! I rebooted again just to test my theory, and the same thing happened?! This has been several reboots with the same thing?!?! Seems crazy but hey, give it a try!

-=Larry=-

and i mean MANY reboots, for some reason the update also changed permissions on /etc/sudoers so that was fun to figure out!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I'm running AMD 64...I rebooted a few times more and the boot process just stopped working altogether. Strange, considering I didn't change anything.

Shutdown process wouldn't work correctly either. It would freeze at a certain point (i think it was trying to disable networking or something...) and stay there until I held the power button.

I've read in some places that it could be something to do with the BIOS....something called IOMMU...I'm unfamiliar with it though.

Here is the bug report...but it is listed as low importance...
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/271070

I had to revert back to 8.04. Luckily, I backed up my important files!

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by framebuffer View Post
    Yes, 64 Bit Ubuntu 8.1 and 64 Bit Processor AMD x2
    Quote Originally Posted by PumpAction View Post
    Edit: Sysinfo, 64-bit hardy installed from Alternate CD, PCIe 8800gt, 4GB memory and Phenom Quad. 780g chipset.
    Quote Originally Posted by surj08 View Post
    Mines a AMd 4200 X2
    Quote Originally Posted by JCM3000 View Post
    System: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB Gfx
    Quote Originally Posted by Divide_Overflow View Post
    EDIT: AMD Athlon 64 X2 system with 2 gigs of RAM, clean install to 8.10 x64 from a LiveCD.
    As i can see the message apears only on AMD cpu's with the x64 Ubuntu version, mine system is similar too:

AMD 3800+ X2, 2GB RAM, PCIe 9500GT, 8.10 x64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Same here. Quad core 2.4GHz AMD 64, 5GB RAM, 8300 and 9300 GeForce 256MB... I'm very mad... cannot find a solution.

Beans

Same here: laptop with AMD TL-60 dual-core w/ 4 GB ram.

Beans

I get the same 4GB aperture problem, AMD64 with 2GB ram, it does however boot.

I do however have the same problem as another poster, the boot process just hangs (for ever) unless I keep pressing a key (enter) on my keyboard. I have to press the enter key about 20 times during the boot process otherwise it just hangs at particular processes (sata, ata, network initialising to name a few). I have no idea what could be wrong and why key pressing sorts it.

Also, when I close my laptop up, it won't come out of the sleep process no matter what I do.

It's a shame because I was very happy with 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I get the same message.... but the boot proceeds. Earlier the boot used to hang and I had to hold down a key. But this is no longer required.I don't know ... may be it was automatically solved by any system update. I get the same message while booting to Fedora 9. Again the boot proceeds normally from there. I have 2 GB of RAM with AMD 64 and running 64-bit edition

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast