Page 18 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: initramfs + busybox trouble installing

Beans

Re: initramfs + busybox trouble installing

Like many other people, I eventually managed to install with:
    all_generic_ide floppy=off

However, I find now that some benchmarks run at only half their expected speed on my amd64.

I wonder if anyone else noticed this problem and if it might be connected with the screwed up installation?

Beans

Smile Re: initramfs + busybox trouble installing

Hi everyone,

I finally succeeded in installing 8.04 after experiencing the same initramfs+busybox issue. Jong's (http://ohioloco.ubuntuforums.org/sho...8&postcount=61) solution worked in my case (using the live CD). Many thanks!

If it helps, or anyone's interested I'm running an Asus A8N-E, with one SATA and ATA drive (master and slave respectively).

As a bit of an aside, from 6.06 to 7.10 I've had no problems what so ever on any of my machines. A bit annoying, but great 8.04 is running!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: trouble installing

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro L300 (PSLB1A) on which normal 8.04installation will stall at initramfs + busybox.

One needs to disable LAN in BIOS and then install 8.04 from Live CD (Not Alternate CD).

Then have this kernel update (suggested by Kroutal) offline ready in your Flash Drive or in any other form. Apply this update and when you then restart the comp, under Ubuntu 8.04 grub menu, one should see another option for 2.6.24-19 Kernel.

Now enable LAN in BIOS.

Restart the computer with 2.6.24-19 Kernel option. You should be able to access Internet.

However my sound card now stopped working. Should be a small problem to fix.

Mega thanks to Kroutal for his advice.

Quote Originally Posted by kroutal View Post
    You have to install this linux image :here and the message should disapear.
    Xbuntu 13.04, 64bit, HP ProBook 4520s, 8GB RAM 500GB HDD

Beans

Angry Re: initramfs + busybox trouble installing

OMG, I tried this and that and it still doesn't work for me. I tried all the mentioned options in menu.lst and it didn't work.

I have no live cd. Could anyone tell me PLEASE what I could do to get rid of this annoying bug? I'm quite new to Linux and I'm obviously overstrained...

What kind of data do you need to help me?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Gafard View Post
    OMG, I tried this and that and it still doesn't work for me. I tried all the mentioned options in menu.lst and it didn't work.

I have no live cd. Could anyone tell me PLEASE what I could do to get rid of this annoying bug? I'm quite new to Linux and I'm obviously overstrained...

What kind of data do you need to help me?

Tell us make and model of your computer and which Cd you use to install. Alternate CD does not work at least in my machine. I had to use the Live CD to install Hardy.
    Xbuntu 13.04, 64bit, HP ProBook 4520s, 8GB RAM 500GB HDD

Talking Re: initramfs + busybox trouble installing

Read through almost all of this thread and finally came to a solution for me, although I haven't actually installed yet.

I tried all the bootloader commands and all combinations - no good.

In the BIOS I: disabled legacy USB support, changed the SATA mode from 'AHCI' to 'compatibility' (only options), and finally, disabled internal LAN. That's what did it. I went back and undid everything else, leaving only the LAN disabled, and the LiveCD still loads and appears willing to install. It's too late/early for me to try now...

The hardware is a Toshiba Equium L-300 laptop, and the culprit LAN is a Realtek RTL8102E. At least it's the one that disappears from Vista's device manager when it's disabled.

Now I have but two questions:
    Should I leave the SATA mode as 'AHCI'? Is this generally a better choice?
    Will my LAN work in the future? The link posted by hannah187 is 404.

Thanks to everyone who slugged this out before my arrival here a few days ago! I'll sign in under Ubuntu next time.

A.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

For me it's always been the legacy USB setting. Get things installed, then change the other settings back AFTER you install and I'll bet you'll be fine.
    JM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Found this on the Phoronix website which may help some with LAN problems:
    Onto the Linux and Solaris compatibility for the Gigabyte 965P-DS3. This board's predecessor had a few issues with the JMicron controller that was integrated to the board, but luckily we did not have any major issues with the P35! However, we did have one issue with the Realtek RTL8111/8168B Gigabit Ethernet controller. Ubuntu was unable to turn on the controller after Windows set it to disabled state instead of Wake on LAN state (don't worry; we just used Windows for the BIOS flashing). The fix is to unplug your computer, press the power button to drain the power, and then boot it back. Then enable Wake on LAN in the Windows Device Manager and it should boot fine. Enabling LAN boot ROM in the BIOS might also help for some people. Those of you who will be planning to use this board (or any board with this controller) on a dual boot Windows machine will most likely have this issue; but those who simply plan to run Linux will not have an issue.

Beans

I'm a little short on details, but basically, I'm pretty this is caused by the installation kernel not having the sata module required to use the hard drive (in my Acer 3680 cheap laptop). After much frustration, I ended up downloading the newer "intrepid" (8.10) iso image, and installing it via the hd-media installation images (as opposed to cdrom or netboot, hd-media's initrd automatically searches for iso images on your USB stick, etc, to install from). Intrepid's kernel/initrd is able to find my sata drive. (There is nice information on USB installation here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick )

So yeah -- the default 8.04 is a horrible release -- I'm pretty sure previous releases of ubuntu didn't have this problem (7.10, etc).

In particular, the Acer 3680 is poorly supported. Aside from not even being able to install AT ALL using 8.04 (dropped to busybox), sound doesn't work out of the box (a small configuration change has to be made), nor does wifi. ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=429182 ). Maybe these things could be fixed in upcoming releases? (I'm not exactly sure if/how ubuntu deals with quirky hardware, but this seems to me what the distro is primarily meant to do. The "beauty" of ubuntu was NOT to force the user to tinker with "ugly" internals. In fairness, my first install of ubuntu on a friend's (older) computer was absolutely effortless and flawless, so I know this great potential is there.)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hannah187 View Post
    Tell us make and model of your computer and which Cd you use to install. Alternate CD does not work at least in my machine. I had to use the Live CD to install Hardy.
    I do not use a live CD, I use a synaptec for upgrade.

My system:
    -Computer-
    Processor : 2x AMD Processor model unknown
    Memory : 2063MB (776MB used)
    Operating System : Ubuntu 8.04
    Date/Time : Mo 30 Jun 2008 12:44:25 CEST
    -Display-
    Resolution : 1680x1050 pixels
    OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
    X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
    -Multimedia-
    Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
    -Input Devices-
    Macintosh mouse button emulation
    AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
    Logitech Logitech Dual Action
    PC Speaker
    PS/2 Logitech Mouse
    Power Button (FF)
    Power Button (CM)
    -Printers (CUPS)-
    PDF
    -IDE Disks-
    TSSTcorpCD/DVDW SH-S182M
    -SCSI Disks-
    ATA MAXTOR STM325031

What can I do to get a new kernel to work?

Page 18 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast