Thread: New FAT32 partition

Beans

Smile New FAT32 partition

Hi,

I want to create a partition for shared windows and Linux files. For this I want to shrink the NTFS windows partition and create a new FAT32 partition using Partition Magic. Browsing this forum I read that people frequently encountered problems with Grub boot loader errors after tampering about with Partition magic. Is there a fool proof way to do it?

Thanks!

Re: New FAT32 partition

Use GParted. It is a graphical partitioner, and no cost to download. As you mentioned PM and Linux do not always get along well.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans

I was looking to do a similar thing yesterday. I didn't trust the Partition magic from Windows so did it from within the Linux environment - much safer!

I had to boot to the live CD (I only have one disk and all my partitions were mounted - you can;t mess with mounted partitions) and go to System > Administration > Partition Editor/Manager (Forget which) and you can fiddle with partitions there - the interface is very similar to Partition Magic too.

Beans

Thanks everyone - this forum is great - it usually doesn't take longer than 5mins to get constructive help!

Beans

Use GParted!

Beans

Check out these tutorials:

http://apcmag.com/the_definitive_dua...stepbystep.htm

You'll be glad you did!

I haven't used any of the Vista tuts but the XP tuts work perfectly going both ways, and the "Ubuntu first" tut is a good lesson in GRUB and partitioning.