Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Wireless driver for MacBook Pro 4,1?

Beans

Re: Wireless driver for MacBook Pro 4,1?

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    Yea, ndiswrapper and the other broadcom drivers do not support 802.11n yet.
    Not quite, since 802.11n is just dual 802.11g. So, there's no problem with the 2.4GHz band: iwconfig will report 802.11n as 802.11g; and, as discussed earlier, ndiswrapper + the XP bcmwl5(64) driver works fine without WPA/WPA2 in that case, even with the rev 05 version of 4328. But 802.11n also has the added 5GHz band, which (clearly) is supported by bcmwl5(64) but not yet by ndiswrapper.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hajk View Post
    Not quite, since 802.11n is just dual 802.11g. So, there's no problem with the 2.4GHz band: iwconfig will report 802.11n as 802.11g; and, as discussed earlier, ndiswrapper + the XP bcmwl5(64) driver works fine without WPA/WPA2 in that case, even with the rev 05 version of 4328. But 802.11n also has the added 5GHz band, which (clearly) is supported by bcmwl5(64) but not yet by ndiswrapper.
    n is backwards compatible with g, so it is recognized as g because full n is not supported.

Beans

Just want to let you folks know that penryn mbp can have wifi access. Please look at this post.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=816161

Beans

Yes, I had seen that post of yours. The fact that the Broadcom 4328 rev 05 wireless chip on the MBP 4,1 can be made to work without security isn't new, it has already been mentioned in several threads including this one. The problem is to get it working with WPA or WPA2 security, without which it is of no use to many users like myself. This may take a while for the ndiswrapper devs to sort out, but patience is a virtue, or so they say...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hajk View Post
    Yes, I had seen that post of yours. The fact that the Broadcom 4328 rev 05 wireless chip on the MBP 4,1 can be made to work without security isn't new, it has already been mentioned in several threads including this one. The problem is to get it working with WPA or WPA2 security, without which it is of no use to many users like myself. This may take a while for the ndiswrapper devs to sort out, but patience is a virtue, or so they say...
    Well I am sorry for bothering you with OLD NEWS. If any consolation I used a "closed network setting" for some ? measure of of security.

Beans

Just reconfig my airport base station specifically with WAP2 AES/cCm. And then signed selecting the AES-- instead of AUTO (default) option. Now I have encrypted wifi.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by a1234 View Post
    Just reconfig my airport base station specifically with WAP2 AES/cCm. And then signed selecting the AES-- instead of AUTO (default) option. Now I have encrypted wifi.

Confirmed -
    I have WPA2/WPA on my airport extreme and chose WPA with tkip instead of automatic when connecting. Works!

Beans

Well great, but alas no solution to my problem... User a1234 refers in his OP to a driver obtained from vanakush as a bcmwl5.zip file (cyberdork questioned the source of that file), which contained a 32-bit version of the driver. My problem is with a 64-bit implementation. Besides, I have indicated earlier in this thread that I have already checked the various strategies that now turn out to be successful for a1234 and Andreas T; they were not successful in my 64-bit case. I state this merely as a fact, no negative reflection on a1234 and Andreas T intended.

So, I would still be interested in hearing about a successful application of bcmwl5.inf/bcmwl564.sys together with WPA/WPA2 Personal security on a 64-bit installation of Hardy on the 4,1 MBP.

Beans

I'm running a macbook pro 4,1 (Feb 2008 ) release. I installed ndiswrapper and the broadcom drivers per the wiki instructions onto a 64bit version of Heron (8.04) and am able to connect to the 802.11g network at uni using WPA.
    Haven't successfully connected with WPA2, but intend to give it a try over the break.

Beans

Thanks for sharing your experience. May I ask whether you did anything special to configure wireless? Did you use network-manager? Did it ask for your WPA passphrase more than once?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast