Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 8.10 on an HP 2133 Mini-note: Observations

Beans

Re: 8.10 on an HP 2133 Mini-note: Observations

Hi,

I got my mic working with 8.10 almost out of the box. Te only problem was that it came muted by default. Try this:

1. In a terminal type gnome-volume-control
    2. Select HDA VIA VT82XX if not selectd yet
    3. Click on Preferences
    4. Check both Capture and Internal Mic and hit close
    5. click on Recording tab
    6. Unmute Capture and internal mic
    you are done

Beans

I'm still not managing to get the built in mic working. I've played around with the options in the gnome-volume-volume control, but no luck getting the mic working with either the sound recorder or with Skype.

The other really weird problem I am having is that the backspace key isn't acting as a back button in FireFox to taking me back to the previous webpage. I don't have this problem on any of my other Linux boxes. I'll try upgrading one of my full sized laptops to 8.10 and see whether I get the same problem.

Other than that I'm really impressed with this little thing running Ubuntu. I fairly quickly managed to stuff the SLED version is came installed with, I've never worked with Suse before.

The wireless was easy to sort out with the STA driver.
    My Vodafone dongle just worked when I let Ubuntu configure it rather than trying to get Vodafone's software working.

Cheers for the hints on other stuff on the machine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ken.Green View Post
    I'm still not managing to get the built in mic working. I've played around with the options in the gnome-volume-volume control, but no luck getting the mic working with either the sound recorder or with Skype.

The other really weird problem I am having is that the backspace key isn't acting as a back button in FireFox to taking me back to the previous webpage. I don't have this problem on any of my other Linux boxes. I'll try upgrading one of my full sized laptops to 8.10 and see whether I get the same problem.

Other than that I'm really impressed with this little thing running Ubuntu. I fairly quickly managed to stuff the SLED version is came installed with, I've never worked with Suse before.

The wireless was easy to sort out with the STA driver.
    My Vodafone dongle just worked when I let Ubuntu configure it rather than trying to get Vodafone's software working.

Cheers for the hints on other stuff on the machine.

I cant make the soun recorder work either but havent really try, as for skype aditionally to the settings I mentioned before I also had to change some settings in skype.

try setting "HDA VIA VT82xx (hw:VT82xx,0) both in sound in and sound out (skype's sound settings)

Hope that works

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have noticed that the mic keeps muting itself after a few seconds
    It works fine while it is unmuted but then in mutes..........

any ideas?

Beans

Re: 8.10 on an HP 2133 Mini-note: Observations: BIOS!

Hi ladies+gents,

Pls consider: This is my first forum entry ever. My disappointment when setting up my 2133 first was huge: why does SLED/OpenSuse run as good as it gets out of the box but 8.10 wouldn't?

Besides the factors discussed in many threads I figured out that with the BIOS version F3 and F4, 8.10 can basically be installed, NOT so running on F5! No chance romance, using xforcevesa doesn't change anything there. Got back to F4, installed beautifully, did the rest of tricks I found here and then tried to retry F5. 8.10 doesn't even start at all, never see any x but wild screen-saver-like shows untill black screen with total freeze. Get back to F4 everything's ok

So please, freaks among you, get some HP2133 guys to analyze this and build beautiful F6 ff BIOS, which make us Ubuntu - Linux4Lovers - users happy also on VIA platforms

Thanks

Beans
    Distro

My BIOS appears to be F.02

Anyone know what the differences are or how to upgrade?

Anyway the install went fine - except for the mic auto-muting itself.........

Beans

I updated to frimware f05 without any issues running ubuntu without any major problems.

To update your firmware you are gonna need a memory stick and a Windws system to make that memory stick bootable and flash your mini.

Here is the link to download the latest firmware and the instructions:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...&swEnvOID=2020

on another subject, Does anybody knows if the accelerometer HD protection system still works after installing ubuntu? any way to find that out?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jjrp78 View Post
    Does anybody knows if the accelerometer HD protection system still works after installing ubuntu? any way to find that out?
    there is no Drive Guard protection.
    -- i;m luvit, & i approve this message.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jjrp78 View Post
    I updated to frimware f05 without any issues running ubuntu without any major problems.

To update your firmware you are gonna need a memory stick and a Windws system to make that memory stick bootable and flash your mini.

Here is the link to download the latest firmware and the instructions:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...&swEnvOID=2020

on another subject, Does anybody knows if the accelerometer HD protection system still works after installing ubuntu? any way to find that out?
    When you say it installed without issues - does the internal mic work ok without it automatically muting itself?

Beans

thats right, it doesnt mutes. I just had an skype conversation and they told me that the could hear a lot of noise (like static) but they could still totally listen to me. And I dont have that auto muting issue.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast