Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA drivers work fine... til reboot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

[SOLVED] NVIDIA drivers work fine... til reboot

Having a bit of driver problem, wondering if anyone else has been getting this. I've got an nVidia 8800GTS (512MB) card, I currently have the 173.08beta drivers from nVidia installed (although the problem arises with the 169.12 version, as well), and I'm running an up-to-date, fresh install of Hardy.

To install the drivers, I stopped gdm using the following command:

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    Then executed the driver installer. Once that finished, I started gdm again:

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    And after tweaking a few settings with nvidia-settings, I had my dual-screens running at 3200x1200, Compiz working flawlessly, 3D games (such as doom3) look fantastic, the works.

However, I was in for a rude awakening when I rebooted, as it killed whatever life my system had and X started in safe graphics mode using the vesa drivers. I've spent a fair bit of time tinkering with it and the best I can chizel the process down to is simply stopping gdm again, reinstalling the nVidia drivers (either version works), and firing gdm back up.

All my nVidia settings are exactly as I left them, so I don't have to reconfigure that at least, but I do still need to.... um.... reinstall the driver after each reboot. And maybe it's just me, but it seems a little ludicrous that I would even entertain the idea of writing a script that executes before gdm starts to reinstall my nVidia drivers. Please help me here, I'd feel dirty if I had to resort to that.
    Last edited by c0mp13371331337; May 16th, 2008 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Change title to solved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: NVIDIA drivers work fine... til reboot

Do this:-
    1) Open a modules file for editing with:-
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common
    2) Edit the DISABLED_MODULES line to make it look like this:-
    Code:
    DISABLED_MODULES="nv nvidia_new"
    and save the file.

Then reboot the PC and see if the Nvidia driver now works.
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

C == seriously fast == FTW!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

[SOLVED] Re: NVIDIA drivers work fine... til reboot

I challenge anyone to try and get this same level of support from M$. Not gonna happen.

PmDematagoda, many thanks friend. That worked like a charm. I can now shut down my system without having to wonder if I'm going to have an extra 5 minutes of spare time to install the drivers when I reboot, or if I'll have to suffer 800x600 for whatever I'm doing!

Thanks again!

Beans

Hmmm...I just edited that file, and now I have a very low res, and the screens are just duplicated on each.

Any idea how I can get back to where I was?

The file now seems to be empty upon reboot.

Beans

Bizarre!

Not sure what I did, but I got back in ok, but the left screen was on the right and vice versa.

The option for swapping them is now missing.

I did the easiest thing and just swapped the cables.

Beans

PmDematagoda, After searching the great and powerful Google, i searched here, found this thread, and you made my day! THanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by PmDematagoda View Post
    Do this:-
    1) Open a modules file for editing with:-
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common
    2) Edit the DISABLED_MODULES line to make it look like this:-
    Code:
    DISABLED_MODULES="nv nvidia_new"
    and save the file.

Then reboot the PC and see if the Nvidia driver now works.
    How does it work and why?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Zer0Nin3r View Post
    How does it work and why?
    The problem may be with modules conflicting with each other, in this case the nvidia and nvidia_new modules, this can cause the X-Server to crash and go to Fail-Safe. I am not sure of the explanation, but with my current knowledge, that is what I think is happening.
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

C == seriously fast == FTW!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by PmDematagoda View Post
    The problem may be with modules conflicting with each other, in this case the nvidia and nvidia_new modules
    Hmm, interesting.

So, there are three Nvidia modules: nv, nvidia and nvidia_new. This raises the question of why we aren't using nvidia_new. Surely it's the most up-to-date one.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by WunSick View Post
    PmDematagoda, After searching the great and powerful Google, i searched here, found this thread, and you made my day! THanks!
    I second that
    Thanks!
    Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted -Randy Pausch

Shameless Plug: wpa_supplicant Configuration Manager

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast